I love this breakfast for 3 reasons:
- It’s healthy.
- It’s filling.
- It’s not sweet.
Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like the majority of healthy breakfast dishes are sweet. You know what I mean: smoothie bowls, overnight oats, green smoothies, fresh juices, cereal or oatmeal with fruit, etc. I need something hearty when I wake up and sugar doesn’t always settle well with my stomach. Plus, I feel great when I start my day with lots of veggies instead of fruit.
So, many thanks to HomeGrown in Asheville, NC, I’ve found the perfect savory, veggie-packed breakfast to start my day!
The Sunshine Bowl
Another great thing about this recipe is the versatility. Any ingredient could be omitted for something different. Do what works for you! This could easily be vegan as well.
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 of an onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 of a bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of raw kale
- 2 large mushrooms, chopped
- Dash of garlic power
- 2 eggs
- small handful of shredded cheese
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 lemon wedge for juice (optional)
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Make Quinoa: Add 1/4 cup of quinoa to small pot. Add 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Chop onions and pepper. Add to buttered pan on medium-high heat. Cook until onions are translucent and peppers become soft.
3. Add kale and chopped mushrooms. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
4. While waiting for the quinoa to finish, I usually chop up the cilantro and tomato.
5. Once quinoa is finished, stir and add in veggies.
6. In the same pan, add more butter to the pan and add the two eggs. Season with salt and pepper. I like mine sunny side up or over easy.
7. Once eggs are finished, turn off burner. Add quinoa and veggies to large bowl. Top with shredded cheese. Add eggs.
8. Garnish with fresh tomato, lemon juice, and cilantro. Enjoy! (:
This is seriously all I’ve been eating this summer! If you’re looking for something new to try in the morning, give this a go. I often make the quinoa and veggies the night before and then just heat it up and add eggs! Super easy, filling, and delicious. 🙂